By Corinna Burford
At Soho House Hong Kong, the menu is designed to reflect the city's diverse food scene, mixing Cantonese staples with dishes and flavours from around the world. Here, our Hong Kong Head Chef, Chris Thompson, shares two of his favourite recipes from the House: Crispy Green Peppercorn Squid and a Broccoli Rice Bowl with kimchi, charred sweetcorn, sweet potato, and yuzu kosho yoghurt.
Broccoli Rice Bowl with kimchi, charred sweetcorn, sweet potato, and yuzu kosho yoghurt
70g broccoli rice
Olive oil for cooking and serving
40g charred sweetcorn
40g sweet potato, cooked and diced
40g sunflower seeds, toasted
40g Korean kimchi
Fine slices of spring onions
Salt and pepper
For the yuzu kosho yoghurt
100g Greek yoghurt
20g yuzu kosho
1. Finely chop the broccoli (green or purple) into rice-sized grains. Cook with a little olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper. Keep the texture crunchy and fresh.
2. Toast the sunflower seeds in the oven at 170˚C with salt, olive oil, and lemon zest.
3. Make the yuzu kosho yoghurt: combine the yuzu kosho and Greek yoghurt, then mix well.
4. Assemble your bowl with the cooked broccoli rice, corn, sweet potato, and kimchi. Top with the yuzu kosho yoghurt, toasted sunflower seeds, and spring onions.
Crispy Green Peppercorn Squid with Thai herbs and green chilli
For the squid
120g squid, cleaned and crosscut
1 egg white
100g corn starch
For the sauce
150ml oyster sauce
70g green peppercorns
45ml sesame oil
60ml fish sauce
140g palm sugar
50ml rice vinegar
75ml light soy sauce
Fine slices of ginger
Fine slices of Thai shallots, washed
Finely cut Thai bird's eye green chillis
1. Cook all the sauce ingredients on a low heat for five minutes. Then, blend well and pass it through a sieve.
2. Season the squid, add it to the egg white, dredge in corn starch, then fry until crispy.
3. Coat the squid with the sauce while hot, then garnish with fine slices of ginger, Thai shallots, Thai chillis, and coriander.