Warm weather dining calls for light ingredients and bright, tangy flavours. Try these classic fish tacos and a simple watermelon and feta salad at your next outdoor gathering, courtesy of our Soho Beach House Miami Head Chef, Sergio Sigala.
Watermelon and Rocket Salad with feta
400g watermelon, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 baby cucumbers, cut into two-inch strips
120g watermelon radish, thinly sliced
400g tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
12 mint leaves
12 basil leaves
For the dressing:
110ml aged sherry vinegar
40g shallots, minced
1 lemon, squeezed
100g grapeseed oil
50g extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.
2. Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar and mix well. Pour over the salad before serving, and top with mint and basil leaves.
400g sea bass filet
8 white corn or flour tortillas
8g savoy or red cabbage, thinly sliced
24g pickled red onion (see instructions below)
12g red radish
40g chipotle aioli
1 lime, quartered
Fresh coriander for serving
1 side of guacamole
1 side of tortilla chips
For the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
1 1/2 teaspoons diced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
Juice from 2 limes
Chopped jalapeno (added to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Optional: roasted corn, cotija cheese, pomegranate seeds
Mash all ingredients together in the molcajete and taste for seasoning. Serve with totopos (aka tortilla chips) or crudite for dipping.
For the aioli:
100g Kewpie mayonnaise
50g canned chipotle in adobo sauce (preferably La Morena)
Note: Puree the chipotle completely before incorporating with the mayonnaise
1. Season the fish and fry until golden. Cook skin side down for around four minutes, flip it, and then cook for about a minute.
2. Heat the tortillas in a pan, then build with the cabbage, followed by the fish, radish, aioli, pickled onions, and coriander.
Pickled red onion
1 medium red onion, finely sliced
100ml Champagne vinegar
2g whole coriander seeds
2g whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 to 2 quartered raw red beets for colour, to be removed after
1. Combine all the ingredients except the onions and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Add the onions and stir as soon as the brine starts to simmer. Stir again in 20 seconds.
3. Remove the pot from the heat, strain the onions and leave to cool before serving.